Where to Buy PEI Lobster
Lobster fishers in Prince Edward Island are proud of the top-quality seafood, harvested sustainably in a carefully managed fishery.
Lobster is prized as one of the most delectable and celebratory food items, revered for its sweet tasting flesh and its admittedly challenging natural packaging makes the lobster meat taste that much more delicious! About 10% of the North American lobster landings come from PEI where over 1200 independent fishers work in one of two fishing seasons of about two months each. While PEI lobster, fresh from the sea, may not be as readily available as steak, it’s well worth seeking it out in season, and absolutely worth keeping on your grocery list year-round to purchase in one of its many processed formats.
If you are a consumer
- Live lobster is generally available year-round from processors, distributors or from lobster holding pounds. Great strides have been made in holding technology, enabling access to high-quality live lobster throughout the year.
- In terms of processed lobster products, the tradition in Atlantic Canada is to freeze lobster as quickly as possible after it is harvested. In most instances, lobster taken from traps in the early morning is delivered directly to the processor. It is not unusual for the lobster to be processed and frozen within 4-8 hours of being taken from the sea. Lobster can be frozen whole cooked (or blanched), provided in various meat forms and can be offered in a variety of packages (and sizes).
- Fish markets are a great first place to start when searching out your lobster feed for that special event – or Thursday night’s supper. The fishmonger will be able to tell you about the source of the lobster and give suggestions on cooking
- Grocery stores will also carry lobster year-round; ask at the fish counter for best options out of season.
- Order online for delivery–here are a few options:
- Order lobster in your local restaurant!
If you are in PEI in the Spring or Fall lobster season drop by one of the many Prince Edward Island harbours and buy fresh lobster right from a fisher. The Spring season is open May 1-June 30 on the north shore between Tignish and East Point and on the east and south shores between East Point and Victoria by the Sea. The Fall season is open August 10-October 10, on the west and south shores between Victoria by the Sea and North Cape.
Sourcing tips for food industry professionals
Prince Edward Island has several reliable seafood suppliers who can provide a steady supply of PEI lobster year-round. Check with your seafood distributor about availability and product specifications. Your supplier should know lobster, be willing to discuss handling and storage techniques and be able to answer your questions. When approaching a distributor or processor, ask about options for fresh and processed product as PEI lobster is available in many formats including cooked whole lobster, cooked lobster meat packs, vacuum packed raw lobster, frozen whole lobster “popsicle packs, lobster tails and so on. Plan ahead; ordering early will ensure a consistent supply.
If outside of Canada, contact the nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate. Trade Officers are very knowledgeable about transportation options, and the rules and regulations that are applicable to your country.
|Royal Star Foods||175 Judes Point Rd, Lot 2, PE||royalstarfoods.com|
|Arsenault’s Fish Mart||246 Heather Moyse Dr, Summerside, PE||arsenaultsfishmart.ca|
|JMK Fish Mart||102 Queens Wharf, Summerside, PE||peilocal.com/listing/jmk-fish-mart-lobster-hut|
|Acadian Supreme Inc.||8323 route 11, PE||acadiansupreme.com|
|Captain Cooke’s Seafood||23675 Trans Canada Hwy, Borden-Carleton, PE||facebook.com/pages/Captain-Cookes-Seafood|
|L&C Fisheries||96 Jollimore Dr, Kensington||greengablesseafood.com|
|Gallants Shellfish & Seafood||10056 Route 6, Stanley Bridge, PE||gallantspeifood.ca|
|Doiron Fisheries||56 Harbourview Dr, North Rustico, PE||peifishmarket.com|
|MacKinnon’s Lobster Pound||2 Prince St, Charlottetown, PE||lobsteronthewharf.com|
|MR Seafoods Charlottetown||61 Thompson Dr, Charlottetown, PE||mrseafoods.com|
|Mike’s Queen Street Meat Market||368 University Ave, Charlottetown, PE||mikesmm.ca|
|Water Prince Corner Shop||141 Water St, Charlottetown, PE||waterprincelobster.com|
|Machons Point Fishermen’s Co-op||308 Machon Pt Rd, Murray Harbour, PE||facebook.com/pages/Machon-Point-Fishermans-Co-Op|
|Stratford Lions Club||110 Mason Rd, Stratford, PE||facebook.com/Stratford-and-Area-Lions-Club|
|South Shore Seafoods||6 Foy Rd, Bloomfield, PE||facebook.com/SouthShoreSeafoods|
|Basin View Seafood||72 Reubens Ln, Kensington, PE||basinview.ca|
|Colville Bay Oyster Co.||83 Lower Rollo Bay Rd, Souris, PE||colvillebayoysterco.com|
|Kensington Food Basket||51 Broadway St, Kensington, PE||www.peilocal.com/listing/kensington-food-basket|
|Gallants Clover Farm||1980 Route 6, Rustico, PE||facebook.com/Gallants-Clover-Farm|